12:40 pm in the 24-hour clock time convention is 12:40.
Civilian time and railway time are frequently used synonym with the twenty-four hour clock.
12:40 P.M. is the 12-hour clock time convention equivalent of 12:40 in 24-hour time.
Military time means the 24-hour clock time convention without the “:” between the hours and minutes: 1240.
For an overview, have a look at the list below the clock:
- 12:40 pm in 24 hour time = 12:40
- 12:40 pm in military time = 1240
- 12:40 pm in civilian time = 12:40
- 12:40 pm in railway time = 12:40
- 12:40 in 12 hour time = 12:40 pm
Read on to learn the math involved in changing 12:40 p.m. to 24-hour clock time .
Convert 12:40 PM
When it comes to the 12:40 p.m. time conversion, the minutes (the two digits after the colon) never change. To obtain the 24-hour clock time equivalent of 12:40 P.M. consider only the number of hours (the two digits before the colon), then apply these rules:
- If the period is “AM” and the number of hours is 12, then 12 changes to 00. Remove “AM”.
As the period is not AM, this rule does not apply.
- If the period is “AM” and the number of hours is in the interval [1;11], then the hour remains the same. Remove “AM”.
As the period is not AM, this condition does not pertain.
- If the period is “PM” and the number of hours is 12, then 12 remains 12. Remove “PM”.
As the period is PM and the number of hours is 12, process only this rule.
- If the period is “PM” and the number of hours is in the interval [1;11], then add 12. Remove “PM”.
As the number of hours is 12, this condition is not applicable.
Next you can find our time converter, and the summary of 12:40 post meridiem as a depiction.
What is 12:40 PM in 24 Hour Time?
If you like to change a time different from 12:40 past midday, make use of our search box or simply overwrite the preset value with your particular time in hh:mm am / pm syntax.
Reading our post, you know everything about the 12:40 past noon time conversion which we wrap up as follows: